Wine Temperature

What temperature should my Pinot Noir be served at?  Read below…
If you would ask my wife or one of my friends who works in the wine industry she would properly tell you that I am hard to please when it comes to going out to a restaurant because I have certain expectations which some say are too high.  I agree that there are a few things that really get me upset.  One is a small wine by the glass selection (see previous blog) and wine served at the wrong temperature!   You might say, oh come on!  Now you are really being picky, but I am not talking about proper wine temperature in such detail that my Chianti needs to be at 59 degrees and my Bordeaux at 64 degrees.  I am talking about when your red wine is so darn warm that you think it just walked of the beach or your white
wine is so cold, that the expected bouquet and flavors only come out wrapped in big winter coats where you can’t recognize their true beauty!  Either is an awful experience and can be easily avoided. 
Working in the industry long enough, I know that storage is always an issue and so is having enough proper refrigeration for your beer and wine.  Since nobody is tolerant to a warm beer (no, not even us Germans J ), wine gets the short end of the stick.  However, it doesn’t have to be this way.  Use 62 F degrees for your red wine temperature and serve your whites at 48 F degrees.  If you only have one wine fridge, store your whites in there and store your reds away from high temperatures to make them last longer, and before dinner service, set them on ice. 
In your household and for your “normal wine”, simply take your white wine out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving it or stick your red wine in the freezer for 15 minutes.  If you have really nice wines, invest in a wine cooler!
I placed a more detailed serving wine temperature listing below which outlines the exact temperature for certain white wines as well as red wines.

Temp F
Temp C
Notes
100°
39°
Warm Bath
68°
20°
-
66°
19°
Vintage Port
64°
18°
Bordeaux, Shiraz
63°
17°
Red Burgundy, Cabernet
61°
16°
Rioja, Pinot Noir
59°
15°
Chianti, Zinfandel
57°
14°
Tawny/NV Port, Madeira
55°
13°
Ideal storage for all wines
54°
12°
Beaujolais, Rose
52°
11°
Viognier, Sauternes
50°
10°
-
48°
Chardonnay
47°
Riesling
45°
Champagne
43°
Ice Wine
41°
Asti Spumante
39°
-
37°
-
35°
Fridge Temperature
33°
-
32°
water freezes
-18°
Freezer Temperature

No comments:

Post a Comment