Learning wine | One sip of wine at the time

All of us wine lovers know what it means to take one sip at the time and how the wine is evolving in the glass and keeps on changing its aromas et cetera.  That is, if you have the right glassware to start with.  But I will talk about that another day.  Back to the sipping of wine, the ongoing change of a wine in the glass is not what I want to share with you today neither, although I could go on and on with that subject.  Trust me!
Anyways, I want to talk about the people that start out buying a wine cooler or are having a glass of white zinfandel and actually liking it.  I know a few people who drink beautiful big reds today, but about 5-7 years ago, wouldn’t have none of it.  No, I am not making this up.  They proudly arrived to evening gatherings with their little 6 packs of wine coolers in the hand, enjoyed drinking them, even calling that actually wine!  But before I lose your interest in reading further, let me switch gears here.
My point is that most of those people simple have a very sensitive palate!  What?  Yes, based on studies, these people have very sensitive palate, often referred to as hypersensitive tasters.  They can taste and live vivid sensations like us bold red wine lovers often cannot!  They don’t like that delicious, strong tasting blue vained cheese; they put a jar of sugar and milk in their so called coffee and usually others make fun of them because of it.  Ok – I used to do the same thing.  But those palates can change.  We shouldn’t discourage those wine drinkers, not at all.  We need to support them.  So, once they got their feet wet and get curious what other wines they may like, you can be there and guide the way.  Start with late harvest Rieslings, ripe pinots and lush merlots.  Stay in “new world” of wine, as they often focus more on the ripe fruit.
If we all help 3 of the white zinfandel or wine cooler lovers, the world will be an even better place.
                                                                                                                                                                                             
Study Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment