What is the truth behind white wine with fish and red wine with steaks?

Since I work in the restaurant industry for some time now, there are certain questions that keep reoccurring.  One of them is the ultimate question “Should I have a white wine or a red wine with my dinner”.  I hear lots of guests still holding on to an old rule of white wine with fish and red wine with red meat, but is that rule actually still valid?  Not really!  That rule is called a traditional pairing of food and wine.  However this would mean that you shouldn’t have a nice Pinot Noir with a broiled Salmon although this a beautiful pairing, just as it is nice to have a Chardonnay with Veal.  But I am getting ahead of myself.  As mentioned above, there are certainly wines which compliment a dish better than others, but at the end of the day, drink what you like! 
As long as you are happy, everybody is happy! 
But if you are interested in pairing your wine to compliment a dish or are looking for a wine at the store to go with your dinner, allow me to offer you some guidance.  We will start with some white wine pairings next. Till then – keep the glass full.  Prost.

No comments:

Post a Comment